TV Report

Some brief observations.

:: I watched the HBO Zone marathon of the entire first season of Game of Thrones on Sunday. I was going to write out this whole post about how I think it would be really interesting and explain a lot of his frankly idiotic duty-and-honor-before-self-preservation-or-common-sense attitude if it turned out that Ned Stark was a Targaryen loyalist all along, but then it all started to sound like so much fansturbation that I chucked it. So I'll just leave that out there. Wouldn't it be interesting if Ned Stark were part of the Targaryen loyalist conspiracy all along? Like, a separate part of it, protecting Jon from Robert, but he doesn't actually know that he can trust Varys because Varys is an integral part of the Daenerys arm of it. Anyway, silly fan theories ahoy!

:: Also, the disappointing season finale of Pretty Little Liars came and went. Nice tease, but I don't believe for a second Mona is A. I have a silly fan theory about that one, too. Pretty Little Liars has basically become like Lost for me, where I want to figure out the mystery. (And where I roll my eyes at the soapier, sillier parts.)

:: Castle has been... not very good this season. I just haven't been having fun with it at all. The teases about Beckett's mother's murder have been too obviously stuck in just to draw it out, and the will-they-or-won't-they is basically the same thing. The rest of the show has just been sort of there, and I'm drifting in and out as I watch it. Guys, if you're not going to be invested in the episodes, why should I be?

:: The season finale of Clone Wars was excellent, all four episodes of it. I never thought I'd ever find Asajj Ventriss remotely interesting, much less be invested in her story. I'm having a lot of trouble reconciling the number of Phantom Menace/anything prequel-related/Clone Wars/anything fun in life haters I see on Tumblr with the number of people who were excited about the return of Darth Maul on Tumblr...

:: Has anyone else been watching Life's Too Short? God damn, it's good. Another from the Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant humiliation-is-comedy school, but I think it's hilarious and Warwick Davis cracks me up on it. I feel like it's a wonderful treat for being a fan of his nearly my entire life.

:: I just sort of let Cougar Town drift away from me. Oh, well. I'll live.

:: House of Lies has turned out to be a surprisingly strong show. I didn't really have any expectations about it except that I'll watch whatever Kristen Bell is in (and it's better than her last, I don't know, 3 or 5 movies...). It's slick, but there's a surprising amount of depth to some of the characters and what we learn about their personal relationships. Glynn Turman is always excellent, and this is the first time I've liked Don Cheadle in anything since he was on ER. Which I hated him on. Turning point for that show for me.

:: Put Parks & Recreation on all the hiatuses you want, I'm still not watching Community.